• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Website Redirected to Server With Malicious Software

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
] Because being as insecure as CR is and having no staff online that could handle the issue when you have a website of this size is totally ok and understandable behavior that they should not be made responsible for the situation.
Bet you think Equifax did nothing wrong. Anime exclamation

But they did have staff online to handle it. It's been handled. Resolving something like this in a few hours is fast work. And if it was indeed a DNS hack, it could very well be something beyond CR's control.
If you actually followed what was going on you'd know only the American staff could fix it and those were all sleeping.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Terrible since there are no alternative services offering cr exclusive anime. The flaw of an anime world dominated by one player.

They better give us refunds and monetary compensation.

For something beyond Crunchyroll's control? If there will be refunds and monetary compensation, it should come from the hackers, as they're the ones who caused your inconvenience.

HoboSoup wrote:
It's probably the same type of asshole(s) that crippled ANN recently. Can people stop hacking things and screwing over others? That shouldn't be asking for a lot, but knowing humanity that's unfortunately asking for the impossible.

Yeah, I have to wonder if they're related or even the same person, or at least inspired by the ANN attack. if they're targeting Crunchyroll, it means either Crunchyroll is not as secure as some other sites or the hackers have some grudge against Crunchyroll and/or its users.

HoboSoup wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Not much happening Saturday morning anyway. If this happened when BnHA was airing though...

I mean if you're not looking forward to anything on Saturday right now that's fine. However there are still a good amount of shows airing on Saturday for Crunchyroll that other people are looking forward to.

March Comes In Like A Lion Season 2
The Ancient Magus And The Bride
Love Live Season 2
Kekkai Sensen Season 2
Blend S
Code:Realize
Two Car
IdolMaster Side M
Time Bokan
+ Any other shows I might have missed.

Regardless of your opinion on any of these shows, it's a pretty big day for Crunchyroll streaming. Saturday is usually the biggest day and I think whoever messed with the website knows this. They did this on a day they knew has a lot of traffic, which is even more messed up. They're ruining the Saturday morning for those of us that are looking forward to any of these series.

Yeah, not everyone watches everything the day of or even the week of. I can see why Saturday would be a major day for Crunchyroll; it's when people are off of school and/or work and actually have the time to watch the shows they want to watch, and I can see why these people chose Saturday to attack the site. (There are some people who posted here saying they intended to watch other shows today too.)

invalidname wrote:
Long-term, this has gotta be a huge black eye for Crunchyroll. By traffic, they're one of the world's top streaming sites -- not Netflix maybe, but who is? -- but I don't think we've ever heard of any streaming site of this scale having their site taken over by hackers. If we saw CBS All Access, HBO Go, or Twitch being taken out by hackers, maybe we could say it comes with the territory. But this is surprising and frankly unacceptable given Crunchyroll's prominence in the industry, and their presumable resources.

I do wonder if the corporate culture will eventually become less loosey-goosey and more buttoned-down after this. I hope not. But obviously, there will have to be some changes to prevent anything like this from happening again. I also wonder if any blame can be laid at the mass-layoff of Crunchyroll engineers a few months back (IIUC, they outsourced a bunch of stuff, and that's why people like Evan Minto aren't there anymore).

Well, HUGE companies like Target, Sony Pictures, and Wells Fargo have been breached in the past. Crunchyroll is small beans compared to them, so I suspect there is a personal motive behind it.

Who knows? Maybe it's one of those engineers who were laid off. Though I doubt it; the lack of maturity in this attack makes me suspect it's some petty grudge from an anime fan.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh this stuff again why cant these idiots do somehting better with there lifes then doing stupied stuff like hack sites

I guarantee you that the person responsible for this (or if multiple people, then the person who initiated it) is less than 25 years old, and I'd say less than 20. When you haven't truly started living as an adult, with actual responsibilities and accountability for your actions, you don't realize there are better things for you to do than to hold grudges and launch cyberattacks.

Nagsura wrote:
Having woken up to a lot of Tweets about it, I find it inexcusable that CR's official accout (at least the English one) only mentioned having "issues" instead of actually letting people know there was a god-damned virus going on. At first I thought they were just experiencing playback issues or some other minor problem along those lines, but had it not been for the replies people were sending in I never would've known it was downloading malware into computers and shit. Just how irresponsible can they be?

It's good to know the German account didn't do that and is run by a (seemingly) competent person, though. Shame I don't follow it, so it doesn't exactly do much for me.

Technically, this isn't a virus, as viruses by definition are replicatable and spread to others on their own with no outside assistance or, in this case, one single distribution source.

Now, I'm no computer wizard, but I think this is actually a non-viral Trojan, as you need to go onto the site for the program to put itself onto your computer. That is, by visiting Crunchyroll, you are inviting it in, so to speak. If you don't visit the site, it can't attack your computer.

Primus wrote:
Can't help but notice this happened the same week a semi-viral video went up encouraging people to pirate anime. I doubt the creator had anything to do with it but I wouldn't be surprised if someone watched it and felt "inspired."

Is that so? They're certainly not helping anyone doing that.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't angry engineer since when I looked at the CR site forums a guy had visited during the attack and noticed that text was in bad english for the ransom site. This was definitely a bitter fan
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
At first I thought they were just experiencing playback issues or some other minor problem along those lines, but had it not been for the replies people were sending in I never would've known it was downloading malware into computers and shit.

It required the user to take action to download. A little bit of (un)common sense would have sent up a warning flag. Namely, why would CR be prompting you to download a file before you could access the site? Would that fly with the millions that access the site for free?

There were multiple tip-offs in the text:
Quote:
Stream your favorites animes in full 4k HD from anywhere! Supports lasts crunchyroll features, inbuilt microtransactions management. Get your FREE trial now!

"Favorites animes", "4k", "Supports lasts", Crunchyroll not capitalized.

Frankly, the people that downloaded the file are probably the same ones that would fall for a "You need to update your Flash/Java" prompt inserted on a legit website by malicious advertising.
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

A free month of premium service is step of good faith and restores faith in their service.

Never forget netflix even refunded for downtime, crunchyroll never does https://consumerist.com/2009/09/01/netflix-refunds-your-money-without-you-even-asking/

The services are a bit different. You can't watch Netflix for free for one...

You can get netflix for a month free.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/16282
Online services from different companies have offered compensation for downtime.No matter how long it was down for.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully I barely ever go on the website, instead using the app for the Wii U or Apple TV.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
One, this is a sad event by a sad individual or group of individuals. More likely than not if they are ever heard from, they will profess to being some sort of social justice seekers, decrying some wrong they feel Crunchyroll is guilty of, and this being their way of bringing attention to it/ hurting Crunchy for it.

Second, asking for compensation is a terrible idea, liable to be a reason someone would do this in the first place, and generally an inspiration for others to take similar actions. I believe that it is bad policy for any company to make such payments. Part of the reason these hackers want to do these sort of things, much like the reason a number of criminals look to commit their various crimes, is the notoriety it gets them; the fame and fortune and glory they're not only able to get from the victim, but the amount they can make the victim bleed - literally and metaphorically. It's a feather in their cap to say, "I made 'Company X' lose this much money when i hacked/DNS/DDoS their website." Unless the company has some actual wrongdoing, I don't think it's appropriate for them to make any compensation or be expected to give compensation, in this sort of situation.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Nagsura wrote:
At first I thought they were just experiencing playback issues or some other minor problem along those lines, but had it not been for the replies people were sending in I never would've known it was downloading malware into computers and shit.

It required the user to take action to download. A little bit of (un)common sense would have sent up a warning flag. Namely, why would CR be prompting you to download a file before you could access the site? Would that fly with the millions that access the site for free?

There were multiple tip-offs in the text:
Quote:
Stream your favorites animes in full 4k HD from anywhere! Supports lasts crunchyroll features, inbuilt microtransactions management. Get your FREE trial now!

"Favorites animes", "4k", "Supports lasts", Crunchyroll not capitalized.

Frankly, the people that downloaded the file are probably the same ones that would fall for a "You need to update your Flash/Java" prompt inserted on a legit website by malicious advertising.

Are you sure? Multiple people said the file automatically downloaded when you went to CR's home page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, I live in Japan and all this went down at night for me so I'm only got the all updates this morning Crying or Very sad

Last night, the site kept prompting to download the file, I literally had no idea what was happening. I'm gullible only cus it was Crunchyroll but even so it did download automatically but my error came when I opened the file Crying or Very sad

I've done scans, and nothing seem to show up but now I have to start the arduous task of changing passwords Crying or Very sad
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Are you sure? Multiple people said the file automatically downloaded when you went to CR's home page.

It did to me. I visited CR on my phone to check a post I made to see if I got any replies to it. Hit the home page and bam, automatic download. Thankfully, I run Android so it didn't do any damage to it and it was qurantined right away.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I think CatSword is right, from everything I've read, and my reading of the ANN article, suggests that the malware is of a particularly aggressive variety that will automatically download, regardless of the user's input. If that really is the case, that would suggest this wasn't just some "random" upset novice, as the terrible grammar and spelling in the fake message suggests. No to go too far down the rabbit hole, but it is entirely possible part of the planning was precisely to use such bad grammar and spelling so as to make people believe the culprit was unsophisticated or not familiar with the English language - perhaps a ploy to cast the blame on someone else.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's more than a tad disturbing that this hack was undertaken by redirecting the Domain Name Service for crunchyroll.com. According to WHOIS, CR's name service is provided by CloudFlare, who presumably should have had much more stringent controls over access to the domains they host. CR itself is not to blame because someone managed to hijack their domain records hosted by a supposedly trustworthy entity like CloudFlare.

Second, what goes through the minds of people who mindlessly run unrequested executable files? Especially in this case where everyone has watched anime on CR via Flash for what, a decade now? Shouldn't it raise some sort of red flag that suddenly there would be a new app when no one has ever used an app (beyond the official PS3 or Android ones) to watch Crunchyroll on a computer before?

Common sense is your first line of protection against hacks.

No browser these days automatically runs an executable file without first asking permission to do so. It is very unlikely that anyone's computer was infected merely by visiting the bogus site. The visit may have spawned a downloader, but the user would have still needed to run the file manually.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm seeing a lot of "coulda woulda shouldas" on most of the forums about this.

Yeah some of us got caught but I think for some of us our guard was down cus it was a site we sorta trusted that never experienced this kinda hit before. Like, I was just chilling watching anime in PJs while texting friends, I mean damn sometimes you get blindsided without expecting it Laughing

Even saying all that, some people are still gonna come through saying "well, you can never blah blah blah..."

Man, sometimes in life you just gotta take that L and move on.

Though it's messed up that I was sailing the high seas for years before going legit and this never happened to me on those sites. But then again I always on high alert when I visited those sites...
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Apparently, according to reddit, the .exe encrypts your entire HDD

Unless you have a Mac. Cool

But yes, would explain why things have been down at the site for a few days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5