• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masamune Shirow's: Ghost Hound.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hound

I'm surprised no one's created a thread for this series yet! Shocked

Well, I just barely finally got around to watching the first episode, and man is it trippy! About as trippy as you'd expect you're typical Production I.G. series to be I guess. Of course, also in being from Production I.G. you can already assume it's got some very top-notch animation, which it definitely does. And the musical score has a really nice, creepy, orchestral sound about it at some points. Now for the episode itself:

spoiler[It looks like the weird dreams Tarou keeps having has something to do with either the traumatic stress after some sort of tragic incident involving him and his older sister, but it also looks like it might have something to do with that little girl at the end of the episode, considering she's one of the people in his dreams. The other girl is probably his sister. And that new school psychiatrist sort of looks like the shaddow figure in his dreams that puts him into some sort of trunk, so that's pretty interesting. I wonder what role his two school friends (their names escape me at the moment) play in all of this. Aparently the more angsty one's father and Tarou have some sort of history. This is definitely bringing up some very interesting questions.]

Definitely looking like I'll be following this one, it looks like quite the interesting watch.

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry and added this topic to the All Discussions thread, also fancied up the title to include Shirow's name. I wanted to make one as well, but I plan on updating my Mushi-Shi thread later tonight Razz. Thanks for doing it, though. It saved me some time. -TK]
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
To me, "Production I.G." and "Masamune Shirow" in the same credits sequence means "totally awesome", so I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it. The first episode was not at all a disappointment. I just love trippy series like this.

I think it's especially interesting how incongruous the character designs and backgrounds are. The characters almost look like they're from a shoujo series, yet the backgrounds are dark and/or foggy. The CG dream sequences are especially interesting, and I can't wait to learn more about them.

Also, I'm loving the opening theme <3 Does anyone know if/when there's a single album coming out for it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I'm surprised no one's created a thread for this series yet! Shocked

I would, but I'm lazy.

I really should get around to creating a Mononoke thread, as that series is criminally ignored to the highest degree...

Quote:
About as trippy as you'd expect you're typical Production I.G. series to be I guess.

Production I.G. doesn't specialize in "trippy productions." Ghost Hound's screenwriter, Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze), and its director, Ryutaro Nakamura (Kino's Journey, Serial Experiments Lain), do.

Quote:
Of course, also in being from Production I.G. you can already assume it's got some very top-notch animation, which it definitely does.

It's some of the best animation I've ever seen for an anime television series. No surprise considering this is their 20th Anniversary Project.

Quote:
And the musical score has a really nice, creepy, orchestral sound about it at some points.

Actually, aside from the opening and ending themes, it doesn't have any musical score.

That's right, Ghost Hound doesn't have any background music. It relies solely on sound direction, which has got to be the most incredible I've heard in any anime. It doesn't surprise me that Yota Tsuruoka, who also worked on Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain, both infamous for their sound direction.

Quote:
spoiler[It looks like the weird dreams Tarou keeps having has something to do with either the traumatic stress after some sort of tragic incident involving him and his older sister...]

spoiler[Kidnapping, as the dreams and the newspaper headlines indicate. Tarou and his sister were kidnapped, he was later set free, and his sister died was killed. The kidnapper's fate is currently unknown to us.]

Quote:
spoiler[And that new school psychiatrist sort of looks like the shaddow figure in his dreams that puts him into some sort of trunk, so that's pretty interesting.]

spoiler[Heh, the third person I've seen who has stated that. I'm surprised it escaped me the first time I watched it....

And if you didn't figure it, the shadow figure is the kidnapper.]

Quote:
spoiler[I wonder what role his two school friends (their names escape me at the moment) play in all of this.]

Masayuki Nakajima is the brown-haired, creepily cheerful boy from Tokyo. Makoto Ogami is the black-haired boy spoiler[whose father was apparently involved somehow in that kidnapping incident eleven years ago.]

I also wouldn't be surprised if Makoto's family name (Ogami) is a play on his lone-wolf persona (Okami is Japanese for wolf, if I recall).

And my thoughts from AoD's forum:

HellKorn wrote:
Wow.

That was fantastic.

I came in expecting some surreal integration with modern-day concepts ala Lain or some abstract art film ala Texhnolyze, but it's neither. Konaka's works have generally been straightforward and he's one of the few "well-read" screenwriters in anime to not inject tedious and pretentious psycho-babble and references into his work. (Eyes on you, Oshii and Sato.) But I have to say that Ghost Hound is one of his more honest entries into the genre.

The sound direction demands some high quality DTS set-up. Listening to it full volume with headphones isn't doing it justice.

The animation is amazing, perhaps up there with Mushi-shi and Denno Coil if it remains consistent. The eye twitch by Tarou's mother when the subject of his sister came up was wonderful. And the art direction compliments it beautifully along with some solidly integrated 3D CGI.

I've always liked the classroom scenes in Lain, and Nakamura seems to have retained that air here.

The story is fairly easy to follow, which surprised me as I mentioned above. Characters also provide enough intrigue. That psychologist freaked me the hell out.

My lofty expectations have been met. Looking forward to episode two.

Edit: Added a link.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it and loved it! I'm a fan of pretty much anything Production I.G puts out, not to mention Masamune Shirow. Konaka and Nakamura did an excellent job with the "trippy" atmosphere. So much that I can't wait for episode two! (And I just started Denno Coil again at episode 12... Anime cry ) Super A++ animation; clean, crisp art; great "BGM" or rather a lack of; and intriguing main characters. I hope -- no, expect -- this series to hold the same quality as its awesome premiere and I'll have another "trippy" anime to add to my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Production I.G. doesn't specialize in "trippy productions." Ghost Hound's screenwriter, Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze), and its director, Ryutaro Nakamura (Kino's Journey, Serial Experiments Lain), do.

I don't know man, Ghost in the Shell and Blood: The Last Vampire were pretty trippy.... Wink

Well I'm not very familiar with either of those guys' works, but in reading the basic stories of each of those series, it really seems to me they in fact do. I'm definitely loving their work so far in Ghost Hound, I'll have to check some of those other series of theirs out. I know Texhnolyze has been on my want to see list for a while.

Quote:
Actually, aside from the opening and ending themes, it doesn't have any musical score.

That's right, Ghost Hound doesn't have any background music. It relies solely on sound direction, which has got to be the most incredible I've heard in any anime. It doesn't surprise me that Yota Tsuruoka, who also worked on Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain, both infamous for their sound direction.

Yeah, I noticed that actually. I was really only referring to the piece that was playing at the very end of the episode when spoiler[Tarou meets that girl from his dreams. ] But yeah, the sound direction was definitely incredible, really did wonders in setting the mood. Thanks for clearing up some of the plot points for me though, I guess the storyline is a lot easier to follow than I thought. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Well I'm not acutally familiar with Masamune Shirow's name anyways, but I'm sure if I knew some of the other stuff he's done before I'd probably find something I've seen before, I'll just have to go look for his name in the encyclopedia. But based on this, he's definitely got a talent, that's for sure.

Thanks to Tony for fancying up this thread BTW. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but it's definitely a nice touch.

EDIT: Oh, looks like Shirow did Ghost in the Shell then, that's definitely a big one! The only other one I've heard of on there though was Appleseed, which is another one I've been wanting to get around to.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
i loved the first episode. nothing really happened at all, and i still felt drawn in by the atmosphere. i can't wait to see where this one is going, as it's completely different from anything airing this fall.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to to watching the first episode. Man, this one is already up there with Blue Drop as one of the best of the season. I was completely drawn in by it all with the little things revealed here and there in the episode things. I cannot wait to see how this series progresses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I don't know man, Ghost in the Shell and Blood: The Last Vampire were pretty trippy.... Wink

Ghost in the Shell is a product of Oshii's style, and Blood: The Last Vampire... uh... I'm going to say that I don't like it.

Quote:
I know Texhnolyze has been on my want to see list for a while.

You should check it out soon along with Lain; hell, throw NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei as well -- all four share the same character designer. Considering all four series are going down with Geneon and aren't likely to be picked up...

I do warn you that they are all slow-paced, particularly TEX -- its infamous for not having any dialouge in the first episode until the eleven minute mark.

Oh, and I really dig Ghost Hound's opening theme. Pretty catchy. Ending is forgettable.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
You should check it out soon along with Lain; hell, throw NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei as well -- all four share the same character designer. Considering all four series are going down with Geneon and aren't likely to be picked up...

Ah yes, I've already seen Haibane Renmei. Loved the character designs, so if the other 3 have the same designer, chances are I'll probably love 'em. Of course, I put more ratting on the story itself and it's emotional themes, so I'll more than likely be going on that. But chances are they'll all be excellent in those areas, so I'm sure I'll have nothing to worry about. Wink And don't worry about the whole slow pacing thing, I've seen a lot of other pretty slow-paced stuff before and loved 'em, i.e. Haibane Renmei.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ANN really sucks at keeping these series-specific threads up-to-date does it.

*sigh*

We need more people who talks about actual anime and not about industry/fansubs/general topics related to anime. Especially ignored series like this. Gah.

Anyway, the fansub for episode 3 is out, the usual places; and I think this series is only getting better and better. First we finally see the three main characters together, I even get a sense that despite their immense personal psychological problems and their unfriendliness to each other, these three could make great friends. Then the elementary schoolgirl finally seems to get interested (worried? I can never read her expression) in whatever's happening. And the atmosphere is without a doubt as great as ever.

The connection between the three at the moment seems to be that spoiler[all three witnessed the deaths of others and suffered psychologically from it. Not only that, the guitar-hero and our main protagonist are related! I didn't see that coming.]

For a series with as little action as it is I think this is shaping up to be an excellent psychological thriller. The mix of the supernatural and the psychological is indeed a powerful element: I can never be sure whether it's in their heads or it's "real." And the central mystery still remains unsolved, of course. In fact it's so well-hidden that I have absolutely no clue whatsoever at the moment as to what it is and how it can be resolved, something that doesn't happen that often in anime.

Also, random notes:

- I thought this series has the snazziest OP ever. Reminds me of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's wonderfully jazzy ED. Not only is the music good, the animation of the OP is top-notch in style and quality.

- The ED is also quality, but not very much in terms of "impact" in comparison to the OP.

- The animation lets up at times, but mostly it's beautifully done.

- I love the character designs. I feel very strange at times when I read how people dislike them for being "weird." Must...resist...elitist...statement.

- Boy is that psychologist creepy or what. Somehow I'm getting used to him though, and I suspect our main protagonist (Tarou, wasit) is also getting used to the routine.

- I tend to create weird ideas as to what a specific anime is [for example: Kimikiss to me is "The Romantic Adventures of Mao-Neechan and her two boys"]. For Ghost Hound I'm considering it to be "Phobias Animated." That is to say, the expression of the concept of phobia in animated form: with a story, with characters embodying them, with pictures, with voices...
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Anyway, the fansub for episode 3 is out

Really?! Darn, I must've completely missed episode two! Mad If you think ANN is bad at bumping series-specific threads like these, you should see how bad I am at keeping track with what I'm watching. Anime dazed
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Really?! Darn, I must've completely missed episode two! Mad If you think ANN is bad at bumping series-specific threads like these, you should see how bad I am at keeping track with what I'm watching. Anime dazed
Get it! Quick! If there's a series this season that it's a crime to drop it's this one. Anime hyper

There's only two-three groups subbing the show though, and quite slowly at that, but I think they're all good quality as far as fansubs go.

I sometimes feel really awkward posting in series-specific threads like this because it often feels like talking to myself sometimes, so I tend to post less myself. I guess everyone feels like that and the effect is cumulative...?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I've always hated to post in series-specific threads because everyone else's observations and what have you seem much smarter than mine and I feel intimidated. But if we can all be one big happy Ghost Hound family here, I'll continue to post, 'cause this series rocks x)

Anyway, episode 3 was just as strange and obtuse as the other two, and yet I want more. The only other shows I'm watching this season are Dennou Coil and -gag- MapleStory, so it does seem like the fansubbers are a bit slow on releases, but it's worth the wait. I definitely wasn't expecting spoiler[Tarou to be related to the guitar player (forgot his name)], and that psychologist is really starting to freak me out. I wonder what the three boys will find spoiler[inside the hospital? Is the thing about the hidden room there true?]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
There's only two-three groups subbing the show though, and quite slowly at that, but I think they're all good quality as far as fansubs go.

Yeah, I think it's the slowness that made me forget about checking up on the series. Guess I waited too long.
Blackmoonlight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and its was good, well better than good. Can't wait for this series to pick up quicker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19