• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe-tan... Now with less Engrish?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
For those who don't know, Moe-tan was originally an English study guide for Japanese students which became popular for its humorous anime references and poor English that seemed more like, well, Engrish. (More information and examples here.)

With a background like that, when the anime was first announced, I (like many others) jumped to conclusions and assumed the whole show would be dubbed in Engrish. Well, I guess I got my hopes up for nothing, since a fourteen second preview of the anime was posted on Youtube earlier today*, and to my displeasure it contained absolutely NO Engrish. I'll still watch the show since this totally looks like the kind of anime I’d enjoy, but that commercial was a big let down. I was basically expecting this in anime form. (That's not actually Moe-tan by the way, that's Maritan, but the spirit of both of them is the same.) Anyone else disappointed?

Edit:
*Um, as an afterthought I guess I should warn people who might be offended by this kind of material that there's a loli butt in that video.

Last edited by panties on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
panties wrote:
Anyone else disappointed?

Uh, no. Just because the CM doesn't have any Engrish in it doesn't mean the whole anime won't. Also, this anime is extremely pedolicious. As much as I'd love to discuss this series with no a-holes coming in and going off-topic complaining about the content, I think that's kind of impossible. I'll see how it goes anyway, I want to watch this series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
panties wrote:

Uh, no. Just because the CM doesn't have any Engrish in it doesn't mean the whole anime won't. Also, this anime is extremely pedolicious. As much as I'd love to discuss this series with no a-holes coming in and going off-topic complaining about the content, I think that's kind of impossible. I'll see how it goes anyway, I want to watch this series.

Well consider this Mission Impossible then. Shocked Damn my jokes have been off this weekend and it seems it's continuing. Anyways, can you give some synopsis of the story WP...I mean panties (gotta get used to the name)? I looked at the listing in the encyclopedia, no help there and the official website is in Japanese which makes sense, it's just I don't read Japanese. Embarassed I'll give almost any show a chance if I like the sound of the story/plot. Whether or not I continue watching it is another issue but we'll worry about that part later. As for the loli butt, I've seen worse and it was clothed so that drops it a few more notches away from the OMG loli smut category.
panties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
panties wrote:

Uh, no. Just because the CM doesn't have any Engrish in it doesn't mean the whole anime won't.

I'm sure there'll be some Engrish in the anime, but from that commercial it seems like they're shifting the focus of it from a "Learn English with loli fanservice!" kind of thing like the original books were and making it into a generic magical girl anime. That's what disappoints me, since I was hoping it would be more like a crazy Japanese educational program and not a magical girl anime that looks like it could actually have some kind of plot. But this is still all just speculation, since all we have are commercials for now since the show hasn’t even come out yet. It could totally still be an educational show if commercials were purposefully made to be misleading. Also,

SHE HAS WINGS.

ON HER BUTT.

Best. idea. EVER.

Edit:
Quote:
Anyways, can you give some synopsis of the story WP...I mean panties (gotta get used to the name)?

I'm quite not sure if I'm allowed to link to this since I suppose it could technically be counted as a "fanscan," but here's a translation of the prologue and character information page from the book. (@Mods: I think this link should be okay since it only covers the introduction of the book and doesn't delve that far into it's actual content, but please delete it if you think it violates teh rules.)

http://www.trevreport.org/moetrans.shtml
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
I agree I think it would be funnier with them taking the cheesy approach by implementing Engrish. Not sure how that could be implemented in the actual show. Would the character be basically saying things like the following in broken, accent heavy English:
"My ultimate weapon is the China cannon attached to my groin."
Perhaps it will see a R1 release someday with all the ad libbing and fake Engrish that ADV would probably be perfect for adapting.

On another note is this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6rYSiH214&mode=related&search=
the Moetan video game or something? I just absolutely love that song.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Anyways, can you give some synopsis of the story WP...I mean panties (gotta get used to the name)? I looked at the listing in the encyclopedia, no help there and the official website is in Japanese which makes sense, it's just I don't read Japanese.

Being the owner of Moetan, Moetan 2, Moetan Grammar Supplemental, Moetan 2 OST, Moetan 3, plus two picture books and an art book from POP, I can honestly tell you that I have no idea what the TV series will be like. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Why? Because the plot of Moetan was kinda loose and non-continuous, and Moetan 2 (not illustrated by POP) basically has nothing to do with Ink-tan (it's an spoiler[AIR-like tragedy]). Moetan 3 has a better plot, but they couldn't be used unless characters have been introduced first. So let's wait patiently and see how screenwriters adapt the book into a TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yukarin + moe = I will watch this show no matter how bad it is
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Anyways, can you give some synopsis of the story WP...I mean panties (gotta get used to the name)? I looked at the listing in the encyclopedia, no help there and the official website is in Japanese which makes sense, it's just I don't read Japanese.

Being the owner of Moetan, Moetan 2, Moetan Grammar Supplemental, Moetan 2 OST, Moetan 3, plus two picture books and an art book from POP, I can honestly tell you that I have no idea what the TV series will be like. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Why? Because the plot of Moetan was kinda loose and non-continuous, and Moetan 2 (not illustrated by POP) basically has nothing to do with Ink-tan (it's an spoiler[AIR-like tragedy]). Moetan 3 has a better plot, but they couldn't be used unless characters have been introduced first. So let's wait patiently and see how screenwriters adapt the book into a TV series.

Wow, I take it you like the show then lol. It sounds interesting, and after my gf saw the trailer and said the characters look so cute I think it's safe to say we'll be inquiring more about this. She also agreed with you panties, the butt wings were awesome. Wink
deelink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
I have never heard the word "pedolicious" before in my life. Thank goodness I am never ever ever ever ever and never and will never have children.

Cute series, apart from the Duck. He represents the otaku that love this type of lolicon anime. Turned me right off Laughing
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Well I thought it was cute. It's just what we needed, a magical flying moe machine. The idea of having wings on a butt...meh...beats sitting on a hard rod all day.Laughing I thought the name was cute too. Magical Teacher Pastal Ink~! The way she says it is sort of catchy. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I believe I first saw "pedolicious" in someone's sig image on the Megatokyo forums (the same image is the top result in a google image search).
There were some bizarre engrish phrases thrown in as part of the lesson in the first episide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1