• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Marginal Service (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote

(The) Marginal Service (TV)

Source: Original, produced by Cygames

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio 3Hz

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction

Themes: aliens, artifacts, police

Plot Summary: The anime follows public safety workers who save the planet from aliens.

Air Date & Platform:
April 11, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

Episode 01: Leather Jacket is Slippery
Episode 02: One Step and Riddled with Bullets
Episode 03: Don't Overeat Caviar
Episode 04: That Absurd Switch

Episode 05: Sexy Santa Lights the Holy Night
Episode 06: Boobs for a Marmot, Air Tank for a Shark
Episode 07: Making Up Is the Beginning of Another Fight
Episode 08: Zombies Prefer Shoppping Malls?

Episode 09: An Ounce of Energy Drink Is Worth a Pound of Cure
Episode 10: You're Always Not There When I Want to Hit You
Episode 11: When You Wish Upon a Star, a Star Shall Have the Guitar and Perfume
Episode 12: Shitty World Will in Fact Come to an End

----------------------------------

Couldn't find any kind of background info on this, so I have no idea what kind of show this is. But that's quite the high-profile seiyuu roster, so I'll probably check it out, just for that.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:26 pm; edited 14 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01: Leather Jacket is Slippery

Summary: Brian Nightraider chases down a suspect in a drug case who shoots his partner, then himself. The chief refuses to believe Brian's story and kicks him off the force. Later, Brian receives an invitation from a UN research group to join a secret group that monitors "Borderlanders" and takes down those that pose a threat.

Comments: This is basically Men in Black, albeit way more cheesy. It's stylish, but in a campy way and almost reminds me of Gate Keepers minus that '60s and '70s vibe. It's much grittier than GK, but borderline silly enough that I'm not sure how seriously I should take it.

I'm still gonna' give it a chance for the seiyuu cast. But here's hoping it strikes a nice enough balance to be entertaining sci-fi alien action fluff. And for a studio I've never heard of, the art (especially the backgrounds) and animation are actually not too terrible.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:38 am Reply with quote
It is not too terrible and offers some fun moments, but I do not really feel it yet. Probably will watch one more episode before potentially dropping it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yeah, this is not a good show. But anybody with even a casual knowledge of my posting knows that that does not mean I won't be watching. It's reasonably cheesy good fun. I am a sucker for "wacky team fighting monsters" shows. Visually, it's weird. It can have quite nice backgrounds but then certain parts, especially the animation, look like ass. Can't promise I'll be here for the full run, but willing to watch some more. (Which usually means I'm here for the full run.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: One Step and Riddled with Bullets

Summary: Brian and Zeno uncover a drug factory, but are captured by Borderlanders. Bolts and Robin eliminate them, but their modified rocket launcher blows up the site. Rubber Suit is the ringleader of the Borderlander drug ring.

Comments: I was pleasantly surprised at how much goofier the show got in this episode. The Borderlander squirrel mascot could be pretty fun, if they make him sassy enough. He reminds me a little bit of Kon from Bleach, but with more of an "eff you" attitude.

And is it just me, or did Brian seeing the other members as aliens really mean they were aliens? If so, I feel we're getting into Guyver territory where people can transform at will between their human selves and alien/mutant counterparts. That could add some coolness depth, if there are more Borderlanders than we think.

Some of the production value seemed less consistent in this one. But I feel the tonal shift makes up for it. I think if this show wants to succeed, it needs to get as over-the-top as possible. Maybe that Borderlander pop star thing will put it in that direction.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Any show that deals with a police/investigative team premise is inevitably gonna have to have the obligatory "infiltrating a party" episode. This is a quirk particular to me but I really loathe "infiltrating a party" plots. I can't even really tell you why. Anyway, at least MS got theirs out of the way fairly early. I'll be honest, if I was more stringent in my tastes, I'd be dumping this. But, I'm Blood-, aka "I'll Watch Everything!" so there you go.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:08 am Reply with quote
Respect for keeping at it, I stopped watching after half of the second episode. I will keep an eye here to see if it gets better, though I very much doubt it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Don't Overeat Caviar

Summary: Pending

Comments: From Men in Black to Mission:Impossible, now. The show is pretty generic, but I actually don't mind it. I think it's because I've watched so many bad live-action movies before deciding to a take a break from that and watch anime all this season, that the presence of ultra crap makes the somewhat crap look less crappy. It's weird perspective to take, but it works.

For some reason, I feel like Rubber Suit should be a dastardly, yet flamboyant villain, like Papillon from Busou Renkin. I can't tell you exactly why, but something about his look and pop star persona just rubs me that way. And hey, we've got a Crystal Skull reference! I think this is the only other time outside of Indiana Jones I've actually seen or heard it. More Roswell, Area 51, or other fictional artifacts would be a neat gimmick to have for the show.

I still can't get over those tacky jumpsuits and hardhats, though. The least they can do is add some goofy mechanic to it like Inspector Gadget or something. Other than that, I would even say this is more enjoyable than most harem titles. *smashes cup* "More! I'll have another!"

Screen Caps:

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:22 am Reply with quote
I'm actually having fun with this one, and the silly jumpsuits are part of the appeal for some reason. Things I would normally find offensive don't seem to be bothering me in this. I do hope they come up with some original plotlines in future rather than continuing to steal all the tropes from countless other movies and series, but I'll probably be ok if they don't.

So if Rubber Suit (?!) was a body double, does that mean they just got lucky to have collected the biometrics from the real guy, or has he also handed off his security to the fake? Also, his name does fit his shape-shifting Borderlander identity, but for the public at large it really seems at odds with the persona he's projecting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this is not a show I expected a sophisto like you to be watching, Gina. Nice to know even a highbrow like you slums it occasionally. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
Occasionally? I'm a total trash panda for all kinds of garbage shows. About the only things that ever really put me off a show is characters who scream at each other all the time, humor that's really mean-spirited, or a cast full of high-pitched squeaky girls who sound and act more like children (note that two of those three are about intolerance of voices that get on my nerves, which I kinda can't help). I just don't post about all the trash I watch, and if there were more hours in the day, I'd probably waste them on watching even more. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Oh man, you have just COMPLETELY wiped out all the preconceptions I had of you, milady. I guess the next thing you're gonna tell me is that you currently AREN'T nibbling on crustless cucumber sandwiches and sipping Earl Grey tea with one pinky daintily sticking up at a swanky spring garden party, right? Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well, no, I am doing that. Though we're sipping Tieguanyin oolong rather than Earl Grey. ⏠⏝⏠
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: That Absurd Switch

Comments: More of the same genericness, but I was surprised by a couple of things: Peck getting his hands blown off the first time, then his whole body all the way apart the second time; and the twist that some Borderlanders are actually being displaced like refugees.

As low-budget and derivative as the some of the elements are in this show, I keep finding it entertaining enough. I think back to EX-ARM, which set a new low standard in production quality, and this one isn't nearly as bad.

I'm wondering if there's some tragic backstory to Zenos, or if he really is just pissed off at Borderlanders all the time. I would've expected Brian to be the angry one all the time, since one kinda' ruined his career as a cop. Then again, he's probably gonna' do much bigger and better things as a Service worker.

Still hoping Rubber Suit throws an even bigger kink in things, if he turns out to be some kind of anti-hero. Heck, I think it'd even be cool if he teamed up with the Service to take down a bigger baddie.

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Sexy Santa Lights the Holy Night

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2