• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote

(The) Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 7 Volumes, by Miyuki Tonogaya)

Demographic: Josei

Animation Studio: Zero-G and Liber

Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance

Themes: workplace

Plot Summary: Himuro is a descendant of yuki-onnas living in modern times and a newbie office worker. When he gets emotionally overwhelmed, he ends up causing blizzards or starts building snowmen and igloos. Whenever his secret romantic feelings for his unique yet kind coworker Fuyutsuki intensify, he sometimes ends up freezing those around him. Then, there's Fuyutsuki. Everyone always sees her as the cool type, but Fuyutsuki is actually also pretty curious about her mysterious coworker, Himuro.

Air Date & Platform:
January 4, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Cute. The trick with a premise like this is what else is going to go on because just watching the two leads be adorable with each other is going to wear thin after a while. I like the "cliffhanger" of hearing that something bad might happen in Okinawa, so will see what that portends.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Yah. I had the same thought about *The Angel Next Door.* Interesting supporting characters are pretty essential in a show like this one. For example, *Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai* and *Just Because* both had a low key quality (Or at least not a lot of screaming and panty shots and slaps, etc) but the supporting cast were distinct and were either likable or amusing enough to carry the weight during transition scenes.

Like you said, hopefully the Okinawa trip will stir the pot a little bit.

I mentioned this in another post, but the other thing that can help a show like this one is to watch an edgy, dark, over the top show right before it, and then watch the sweet, soothing, no tension show. If you make it one experience, each show can provide the ingredients that the other show is missing. Last season, for example, I watched DIY club right after Eminence in Shadow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:11 pm Reply with quote
@ Edjwald - ha ha, that's a great strategy. Because I watch a wide variety of shows, I end up doing that kind of thing just as a matter of course as opposed to a deliberate choice. I don't disagree with your "The Angel Next Door" comparison although I would note that the dynamic between those two leads is somewhat different: there is a frission between the two as both can be a little chippy in their own ways as distinct from Snow Man and Cool Girl who it is hard to imagine being snippy with each other. Because of that, I can probably go along with the Angel duo a bit more without needing as much input from supporting characters or external happenings. But yeah, that element is still needed to get fully immersed into a show.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ I don't disagree with your "The Angel Next Door" comparison although I would note that the dynamic between those two leads is somewhat different: there is a frission between the two as both can be a little chippy in their own ways as distinct from Snow Man and Cool Girl who it is hard to imagine being snippy with each other.

True. I think a couple of reviewers - or at least one of them, they kind of blurred together for me - said that the female lead in "Angel Next Door" was bland and expressionless, but I didn't get that at all. I think she's kind of shut down, but that doesn't mean there's no tension or edge to her, That's like saying Mai in "Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai" has no personality because she doesn't vary her facial expression or tone much. Not that this female lead has as much going for her as Mai personality wise, not thus far anyway.

The thing about those kinds of relationships is that they are about people who have shut down or given up gradually rediscovering emotions.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I had been looking forward to this show, but found episode 1 to be fairly boring. However, episode 2 was a big improvement. Little Himuro was adorable! Episode 3 was again a bit draggy for me. Let’s see what our new phoenix(?) character brings to the table in episode 4. Still on the fence with this one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
Yah, I've given the first three episodes a try, but I only made it through the last one by looking up web novels while it was going on. I think I'll save the rest for a day when I'm really stressed out or sick and then maybe come back and give it another chance.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday, I worked from home because of inclement weather, which was cool. But when I got back to work today, a huge clot of suck had piled up.

Then, I had to wait to get my teeth cleaned after work. And this involved sitting next to a big TV set to the Hallmark Channel. I said the Hallmark Channel. The Hallmark Channel. I'm not sure I'm adequately conveying the horror of the experience.

Then another hour of getting my gums poked and prodded by sharp objects and force flossed.

And the reason I'm going into this much detail is that when I got home, I made some soup, dumped the vegetables on a plate, ate them separately, then drank the soup while I watched episodes 4 and 5 of this show.

Under those circumstances, the show was pretty damn good.

Last edited by Edjwald on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Oh for sure, something as stress-free and healing as this show would be just the ticket after a day of suck. I am getting a little impatient for something though and I blame the OP. There is clearly a white-haired female character who I'd wager is Himuro's onee-chan and I've been waiting for her to be introduced. Every week, I'm all like, "is this the week she finally shows up?" And it never is. I feel myself getting grouchy about this.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:28 am Reply with quote
The thing that struck me...this was during the theater date where Himuro was saying to himself "I can't get too excited...I don't want to unleash a snowstorm in the theater"
is that this whole anime could be considered a metaphor for someone who has a problem with...um...

(Leaving to consult the rules on appropriate topics in the forum)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm far too innocent to understand what you are driving at, Edjwald. It's that same innocence that prevents me from knowing what snow job rhymes with.

Episode 8

YAY!!! Ask and ye shall receive. After whining about the delayed (imo) introduction, the imouto is finally here. And as the OP hinted, she seems to have the same sort of feelings for Fuyutsuki that her brother does. That should make for some interesting exchanges in the 4 episodes that remain. Interesting that in this world, male descendants of snow women have a reputation for being short tempered. Himuro certainly isn't like that except for perhaps with his bratty little sister.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ooooo, cliffhanger! Except, of course, I'm sure the femme Himuro is asking to live with him is his imouto, not Fuyutsuki-san. After all, a dude who can barely bring himself to give her a pair of earrings as a present isn't gonna suddenly ask her to shack up with him. Unless there's been, like, a 15-year time jump or something. Which I doubt.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 10 Ooooo, cliffhanger! Except, of course, I'm sure the femme Himuro is asking to live with him is his imouto, not Fuyutsuki-san.

I'm pretty sure that's where the smart money lies. The other possibility is that it's some kind of gimmicky situation, like a co-worker's apartment got flooded or something, but the "live" word choice makes that less likely.

By the way...when Himeru's little snowmen start talking to him...we're all agreed that it's a sign that he's slowly descending into madness, right?

(Show's edgier than I thought).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
But... but... little snowmen talk to me all the time!

Starting to feel a little self-conscious here...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But... but... little snowmen talk to me all the time!...

Starting to feel a little self-conscious here...

Just don't listen if they start telling you to go into the light....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2