• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kannagi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
What are we talking about? The volume of discussion or series quality? The main thread for Kannagi has 7 pages, while Toradora is up to 19. Last I checked, 19>7.

Not sure what site you're talking about. We were discussing the number of threads on 2chan in Japan, not pages on ANN if that's what you meant. ANN is far too small a forum and a very narrow demographic to use for gauging overall popularity of anime, though I do consider the user ratings fairly reliable for quality.

Popularity isn't directly proportional to volume of discussion, and certainly doesn't reflect quality, but the number of threads from 2chan generally correlate closely to popularity of anime in Japan. I've seen the site's numbers cited in the same breath as DVD sales, so they are pretty reliable.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Popularity isn't directly proportional to volume of discussion, and certainly doesn't reflect quality, but the number of threads from 2chan generally correlate closely to popularity of anime in Japan. I've seen the site's numbers cited in the same breath as DVD sales, so they are pretty reliable.

Yep, the most popular shows of the year in regards to 2ch have been Gundam, Macross, Geass, Clannad and those are the 4 best selling tv series of the year.

It's not an absolute rule but it's a good guide, in a few months time I'll compare dvd figures with that top 5 I posted before, if I remember. Would do it now if Kannagi wasn't the only show out of those 5 to have been released.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's not an absolute rule but it's a good guide, in a few months time I'll compare dvd figures with that top 5 I posted before, if I remember. Would do it now if Kannagi wasn't the only show out of those 5 to have been released.

That would be great. Is there a site that provides some help in decoding the thread names/links on 2ch for the Japanese language-challenged? Maybe someone that keeps up with it as the seasons change? Not trying to avoid Google, but I assume you would know if anyone did.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
R3TW licensed! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
R3TW licensed! Laughing

Will people hit me if I ask what the heck "R3TW" is? .-.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:

*SMACK*

It stands for "(DVD) Region 3, Taiwan" because R3 includes many countries/regions; likewise, R3HK and R3KR represent Hong Kong and South Korean releases, respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

*SMACK*

It stands for "(DVD) Region 3, Taiwan" because R3 includes many countries/regions; likewise, R3HK and R3KR represent Hong Kong and South Korean releases, respectively.

Ow D: Ok but that makes so much more sense. I was thinking it was some random never seen before leek speak or something. I was thinking to hard, thanks D:
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
leek speak

Lol.

I didn't know what "R3TW" meant either. Thanks for asking.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I find Kannagi to be rather good in comedy department, as some jokes are drop dead hilarious; regarding story and characters though (and general execution) I somehow expected more from the series. Kannagi has a very good animation, however during episode 10(where a lot is expected, fanservise episode afterall) it just doesn't deliver the level of characters' body language as it might have had (blame director?).

I think Kannagi had more potential, but what we have is still good, worth watching for it's comedy genre at least.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
"What era is this game from?"
"From before we were born."

I suddenly feel rather old. Aside from that, though, the bonus episode was wonderful.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I just have to share this little gem with all Kannagi fans here:

Haruka Tomatsu and Kana Hanazawa switch Roles!

They both fit the other character too. It's pretty remarkable.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Ummm, "remarkable" if you are fluent in Japanese. I'm not, so this video is completely disposable. As an English speaker, I see no point at all for this English-subbless video to be spread about amongst people who are not English folks who are fluent in Asian-languages.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
frentymon wrote:

Ummm, "remarkable" if you are fluent in Japanese. I'm not, so this video is completely disposable. As an English speaker, I see no point at all for this English-subbless video to be spread about amongst people who are not English folks who are fluent in Asian-languages.

I think you misplaced what this video actually is. Lots of people that can't speak japanese at all still recognise the voices of voice actors, and even if you don't understand the words, you can still get a kick out of hearing the VA's playing the opposite roles. Well I did, anyway. I'm surprised at how straight-faced they managed to do this. Relatively awesome, but kind of weird to watch as well.

I really hope they bring out a second season of this (or that the manga comes out of its prolonged haitus, whichever comes first). It was a great series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd say most people who have watched this episode of Kannagi would remember this scene, and have at least a rough idea of what the characters are saying, even without understanding a word of it. That said, I don't think knowledge of Japanese is necessary to enjoy the video for what it is: two voice actresses trying out roles that aren't in their specialty, and doing a good job of it at that.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

This is tantamount to saying that seiyuu don't matter, which means simply neglecting half the fun of any anime series. Confused

Nice vid, btw. Gintama's role reversals were much funnier, but it's good to hear Kana Hanazawa especially being so versatile. I think this version of Zange-chan is a bit more squaky than she should be though.

So about the series: did the mangaka finally recover or no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8